Summer shirt round-up

Over the summer I sewed a lot of short sleeved shirts that I never got around to blogging about. In the time since then, they have been loved, worn a lot and then packed away as the weather in London cooled.

First up, the Sewaholic Belcarra. This is a simple raglan sleeve top that goes with just about anything and is super easy to make. I made a few that were too big, but ended up giving away as gifts (I really need to look at the finished garment measurements better). This shirt is the culmination of quite a bit of tweaking, but I’m really happy with the final fit and will be making good use of the adjustments to make more when the weather gets warmer. This shirt is made from a cotton fabric I bought on Goldhawk road.
DSC_3711
DSC_3712

The ever popular Grainline Scout Tee was my most worn and made tee this summer. This pattern is really popular in the blog world and it’s not hard to see why. It is a clean and simple pattern that you can make out of pretty much any type of fabric. This pattern is what made me realise that all of my measurements could be spot on one of the sizes, but my shoulders are broader than usual at that size. I end up having to go a size up at the shoulders and then everything else is the same. Once I got that fit right, it was a breeze.

This first version is also made of a cotton fabric I found on Goldhawk Road. I’d originally bought some to make a Belcarra out of, but it was a bit too big so I gave it to my sister. I loved the fabric so much I went back to Goldhawk Road and found the fabric again (thankfully they still had some left) so that I could make a Scout Tee.
DSC_3708
DSC_3709

This Scout is made out of a lightweight viscose that has a fish scale type pattern to it. I bought this from the Textile Centre.
20150901_210018[1]
DSC_3716
DSC_3720
On this version of the tee, I tried the blind hem stitch on my machine to hem the bottom of the shirt. It worked out really nicely! I’d done the blind hem stitch when I hemmed a pair of work trousers and thought I’d try it here to a) cut down on the amount of hand sewing and b) making sure I actually finished this project because I tend to procrastinate on hand sewing.
20150901_205950[1]

Last but not least, my favourite Scout of all. I lengthened this top and made it out of another flowy viscose from Textile Centre. The print is florally, but it also looked a bit Asian-inspired which I really liked. It’s not as lightweight as my fish scale viscose fabric but it’s still really drapey. I wore this top a lot when we were on holiday in Asia.
DSC_3722
DSC_3724
DSC_3725

 

Advertisements

Really loving the cowl necks

I’ve done quite a bit of sewing in the past couple months but I haven’t gotten around to blogging about it. I’ll be playing catch up over the next few weeks.

I never used to be into cowl necked things, but I find them flattering, and comfortable to wear! The fact that they’re made from jersey adds to their comfort because they nice and stretchy 🙂

A while back I made a red long-sleeve cowl neck top from Sew Over It. It’s made of a lovely and thick ponte roma jersey that I picked up on Goldhawk Road. I’ve worn it loads of times since making it…just never got around to blogging about it. I don’t have an overlocker but used twin needles, which works remarkably well. There’s a really great tutorial on A Stitching Odyssey’s blog that I found really useful. The pattern is so easy to follow and to sew. It’s 4 pattern pieces, 2 cut on the fold and 2 sleeves. With the weather getting warmer, I doubt I’ll be wearing it much now but as soon as it gets cooler I’m sure I’ll be getting a lot of use out of it. I’ll probably also make more in a variety of colours 🙂 Ahhh…the joys of sewing.

View from the front. As you can see, I've made the sleeves nice and long, which suit me just fine :)
View from the front. As you can see, I’ve made the sleeves nice and long, which suit me just fine 🙂
It looks a bit orange here, but I think it's just the light
It looks a bit orange here, but I think it’s just the light

A couple weekends ago, I got around to making another version out of this lovely blue scuba fabric. Since the weather is warming up, I thought making a short-sleeved version would be in order. Another successful cowl neck top! I can guarantee I’ll be making more of these in the future.

Oops, this picture came out a bit blurry!
Oops, this picture came out a bit blurry!
Close up of the front
Close up of the front
View from the side. I really love how easy the scuba is to sew!
View from the side. I really love how easy the scuba is to sew!