Life in Vancouver so far.

It’s been a while since I last posted! I went for about 6 months without sewing because our home situation was so in flux. In May 2017, my family and I moved to Vancouver Canada for my job. We packed up our belongings, loaded what we’d need for the next 6 months into our cars and made our way up. Most of our stuff went into storage, and the rest went into my parents’ basement where we lived temporarily. It was a great set-up where we had our own 2 bedroom space downstairs and could use the kitchen and space upstairs when we needed to. It was also a great chance for my daughter to see her grandparents every day and vice versa.

Over the next 6 months I was commuting fairly far for work but we got settled and explored around the Greater Vancouver Area to see where we may want to live and buy a house. In October 2017, we found a wonderful townhouse in Burnaby (a suburb next to Vancouver), my husband found a new job and we put our daughter into daycare near our house. It seemed like life was on pause for a good long while and then everything happened at the same time. In a way, it feels like we’re just catching our breath ๐Ÿ™‚

We are now moved in and getting settled. We had our first Christmas in our new home and were able to celebrate with my parents and my sister’s family! It feels like it’s been forever since we’ve done something like this as we were in the UK for 5 years and spent Christmas there or in San Diego with in in-laws. I feel like my house is sufficiently broken in now.

With getting settled in our new home, I’ve gotten a sewing space set up, and it has been wonderful getting back into the swing of things. I’ve decided not to tackle anything too arduous as the break from sewing made me lose a bit of motivation. I’ve been slowly getting back into things with quick easy sews that make me excited to start another project. I will have a few makes that I look forward to sharing with you soon.

Until then, thanks for reading!

Advertisements

A Gingham Archer

After finishing my arrow archer, I decided another one was in order. I’d been wanting one in a black and white ginghamย so I found the fabric on fabric.com and proceeded to cut it out. One change I made to this version was to lengthen the body by 2 inches. When I cut it out, it looked a bit long, but after sewing it and putting it on, I decided that it’s the perfect length.

I used Lauren’s blog post about plaid matching to pattern match my gingham. I’d never pattern matched and thought I was perhaps getting ahead of myself making this my first project to do so…but, the post is super helpful and I was able to successfully match my seams!! It was time consuming…but worth it. I followed advice to cut my pockets, back yoke and placket on the bias. I think it adds some nice visual interest and ensures I don’t need to pattern match more seams ๐Ÿ™‚

Matched side seams.

IMG_20170203_112453

Matching along the front

IMG_20170203_112441

Nice long sleeves

IMG_20170203_112604

I actually really like it with the sleeves rolled up.

IMG_20170203_112434

Another successful Archer! After this, I was ready for a few quick sews which I will blog about soon. I’m already planning for a couple sleeveless versions for when we head to Australia and Singapore in a couple months.