A zigzagged Bettine

The Bettine…one of the latest pattern releases from Tilly and the Buttons.  I really liked the Bettine from the moment I saw it because it was simple, didn’t have zips (yay!) and had pockets. I also love kimono sleeves, and the neckline is a great scoop neck which is interesting but not too low. Looking at the shape of the skirt, I knew I’d need to make the hip silhouette less pronounced. I kept the hip line where it was for the size I cut, but graded the line after the hip out a bit so the bottom half of the skirt was wider and longer. I just wanted to see what the silhouette would look like as the pattern was drafted.


The top part of the dress was quick and easy to sew up. I like that the facings are topstitched down because facings tend to be the bane of my existence, particularly when ironing after a wash! I think it really accentuates the shape of the neckline as well.


When sewing down the casing for the elastic, one of the pockets got caught so I ended up having to unpick it. Slightly annoying, but it wasn’t too difficult to fix thankfully.

After trying on the dress (pre-hemming) I noticed that the hip lines were still a bit too pronounced for my liking. So, I eyeballed a line to grade down the hips.

It ended up working perfectly! I’m super happy with my completed Bettine, and have already modified the pattern and finished a second version!! I’ve since worn this dress twice (in 1 week) and LOVE it. The pockets are so functional and useful, and the shape is flattering. I like the blousey top and the comfort of elastic. I’m heading on holiday to Dubai and Asia next month and will be bringing Bettine(s) along for sure.