Sewing adventures continued…

So, this week is my “lady of leisure” week as I ended my previous job on Friday and have a week off before starting my new job! I figured it’d be the perfect opportunity to try out a new pattern. I’ve been meaning to take out the sewing machine for ages, but it’s quite time consuming and our flat isn’t large enough to leave it out ALL the time since I use up communal space.

I decided to make Salme PatternsPussy Bow Top – a pattern I’ve been wanting to try out for a long time. Salme Patterns is a little independent pattern maker in the UK. She sells her patters on Etsy and they’re very affordable and classic. I personally have purchased quite a few of her patterns. I’ve previously made her kimono top pattern and I really like it. It’s simple and versatile. My only gripe (and I’ve mentioned this before) is that the instructions aren’t very conducive to a new sewist. I literally had to read the directions over and over. The part I found most confusing was the part about the neckline/bow strip and also just other little lack of details about finishing the front neckline of the blouse. I ended up just winging it. It didn’t turn out so badly actually. If it wasn’t in the instructions, I didn’t sweat it…I just finished it how I thought I should finish it. One of my (not so minor) screw ups was when finishing the “V” of the keyhole opening on the front of the blouse. When I sewed the bias tape, it didn’t quite catch the actual blouse. Thankfully, it’s not super noticeable and the bow / tie covers it anway.

I’m personally REALLY happy with how it turned out! Lack of instruction aside, it’s a great pattern and I will definitely make it again. I used this jazzy crepe material that is really difficult to press and quite fiddly, but I got by ok! The seam allowances aren’t included in the pattern so I cut it 1 size larger. I also lengthened the peplum piece of fabric since I like my shirts to be a bit longer. I think next time I make it, I will make the top part of the blouse slightly longer too. This is probably the most complicated top I’ve made yet. So pleased with the results. Can’t wait to wear it!!

All done by me!
All done by me!

IMG_0021

My little mistake...I didn't quite sew all the layers of fabric together!
My little mistake…I didn’t quite sew all the layers of fabric together!
One of my doctored seams. The collar/tie open part wasn't quite long enough...so I sewed the entire thing to the remaining raw edge of the neckline. Worked out alright (as long as others don't look at it TOO closely!!)
One of my doctored seams. The collar/tie open part wasn’t quite long enough…so I sewed the entire thing to the remaining raw edge of the neckline. Worked out alright (as long as others don’t look at it TOO closely!!)